Thursday, September 13, 2007

Drill Team Revisited

Carlos, I read you comment and thought I would start another conversation with this. I removed the offending pole. I was wondering what your thoughts on that would be. Is this something you view as unacceptable?? Is it situation specific?? I would think it would only mater depending on what the photo is going to be used for. Then again it is just a pole. I didn’t remove anything that would be important or relevant to the photo. I’m not intentionally misleading anyone or trying to manipulate them by doing this. Just wondering what you think about it. Maybe this will begin a good discussion. Who knows? Photo by Robert Neno.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

how the eff did you remove that pole>? that is so neat how you made it disappear. I've got some photos I'd love to do that to


-gonzo girl

Robert Neno said...

I did it with photoshop. It's not that difficult. I could show you in about 15 mins.

Anonymous said...

I still haven't got a photo shop program/bummer. I have a few shots that I think would do justice to be in black and white.



---gonzo girl

Jackerries said...

I like the "adjusted" photo better, looks like you also adj levels to get a better pop of color, I love PS, you can make a good picture great.
I like it better adjusted and like you , I believe to sharpen clear up and enhance the color a wee bit does nothing to the integrity of the photo. I'm probably wrong, but after adjusting a picture, it represents better what my eye saw and becomes more my own.? Make sense?
Jackie

Carlos Moreno said...

All righty then. Let's get after it.

In terms of photojournalism, removing that pole is absolutely unacceptable.

Newspaper photographers and magazine photographers follow a strict code of ethics that do not allow for manipulation beyond basic cropping, brightness, color correction and dust or scratch removal.

Certainly, you've heard me talk about the burning and dodging process that creeps into the manipulation discussion and that becomes a dividing line for a lot of photographers.

But you comment that you didn't mean to deceive anyone and that it's only a pole. This raises the old cliché of a "slippery slope" whereas people may recognize the pole is missing or someone may see the picture with the pole and without. Then people start wondering what else the photographer has manipulated and what else the newspaper may have altered and then of course leading to a discussion of the newspaper or magazine's overall credibility. Slippery, slippery, slippery.