Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Nothing New Under The Sun..



I have tried so hard to find something original to do with my images and each time I think I have something someone tells me it has been done..the couch, which I did a series on because my son would not unload it from his truck for 2 weeks, just went around town with an ugly old couch in the back...so I thought I'd make a series......already been done...then I did the grid and zebra print, thought it was new , nope done in the 60's and 70's...sooo here is a picture of a daisy sitting in the mist produced by dry ice, and another in dry ice with water added in front...I'm sure 'it's been done' Is it POSSIBLE to come up with something new???
I'm about to give up...
Jackie

3 comments:

Robert Neno said...

I think they are interesting. Not sure if it's been done or not. I don't assume to know that damn much. I had heard of the couch thing though. I think it was made into a whole book. Maybe you could get some liquid nitrogen and freeze the flowers and try to get some high speed shots of someone chartering it on a table. That would be cool. I'm not really creative so if I thought it up it I'm sureone else has. Good luck.

Carlos Moreno said...

Don't worry about photos being done before. Concentrate on what you're learning by making these images.

Let the creative stuff come to you. Don't force it. In the mean time, focus on making your images as powerful as you can and experiment with as many techniques and styles as you can.

I do a lot of copying of other people's work. I learn and grow from that.

I'm real frustrated because every time I learn a new lighting technique and think I've caught up to the masters, I see someone like Annie Leibovitz just crush me with her stuff in Vanity Fair.

Or check out the lighting and styling of the imagery in the movie "300". That is killer, cutting-edge stuff!

Carlos Moreno said...

Now, those flowers and water, to me is a great, great start. Prepare for wounding comments to follow:

I like to refer to a Galen Rowell passage from one of his books. He talks about "mature" photos--how certain photos are right for the time and are contemporary and fresh without being clichéd.

About 10 years ago (even five years ago) your photo would have been startling. But because of the volume of images and people playing with software and digital photography we've accelerated our stylistic progress photographically.
And your photo, while very, very good, is still just part of a growing pool of advanced digital art.

What I would like you to play with in that image is the white background on which the flowers sit. To me that is the most offending part of the composition. I'm not sure what you can do. That white needs some organic, graphic element or a blend of colors to give the flowers some base and create another layer of depth.